Last week's April Fool's "prank" by my co-worker, Ivan got me pretty fired up. So much so that my boss, Edward, sent me home early that day (with pay) to cool off.  Sometimes, Ivan is just the worst.

I'm learning how to channel my feelings into my creative endeavors, so as soon as I got home, I began thinking about the worst sidekicks in the history of fandom for this week's blog post. I found it fitting because let's face it, when it comes to working at Next Page Comics, I'm pretty much Xena and Ivan is Gabrielle. Actually, that's unfair to Gabrielle, Ivan is like a rock that Xena laces up her boots on. Alright, let's dive in.

10) George 'Mac' McHale from: Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Picture
There are probably a few characters far more useless or annoying from the Indiana Jones universe that could go here, but few mention 'Mac,' probably because they want to forget that the movie he's in ever happened. You'd think that Indy running around with his son and former lover Marian, would be enough sidekicks to satisfy the audience, but apparently we absolutely had to have Mac thrown into the mix, even after he straight up betrays Indy in the beginning of the film. Afterwards, he acts as if nothing happened between the two of them, and continues to be a completely unhelpful liar. His character is about as baffling as The Crystal Skull movie itself.

9) Ruby Rhod from: The Fifth Element

Picture
Chris Tucker is a genius. Why? Because he managed to somehow take every pop star and celebrity from past, present, and quite possibly the future (paging, Nicki Minja) and compress them together to make the terrible masterpiece that is Ruby Rhod. He's full of himself, doesn't know how to fire a gun, and literally screams like a girl. A lot. He's farther down on the list because after re-watching the film I can't help but be impressed by the performance of such a magnificently annoying character. It's beautiful, really.

8) Magikarp from: Pokemon

Picture
Victreebell may affectionately munch on James's head whenever it's released and Psyduck may sit around with a derpy face whenever Misty wants him to fight, but they have nothing on the uselessness that is Magikarp. Not only does it not have any attacks, but it can barely swim! It's a fish Pokemon! How can it not be a strong swimmer?!?! It evolves into the far more useful and frightening Gyarados but the wait for that to happen is barely worth it.

7) Snarf from: Thundercats

Picture
Where to begin? Snarf is fat, and lazy, lending very little to the rest of the Thundercats except by being pessimistic, and afraid of everything. And let's not forget his voice, good Lord. Whomever voiced that thing needs to win an award for creating the most ball grating sound in all of cartoon history! By the way, his name is apparently Osbert. That's like if you all knew my name was Phoebe but insisted on calling me 'Human' and my catch phrase was 'Human! Human!' Even in the world of 80s cartoons that makes no sense.

6) Flounder from: The Little Mermaid

Picture
I don't like The Little Mermaid. There. I said it. I could talk about how much of a brat Ariel is, but that has nothing to do with sidekicks. Disney usually has an animal sidekick to appeal to younger audiences with a cute factor or for comic relief. Flounder isn't particularly cute OR funny and brings literally nothing to the story except to listen to Ariels' whining with rapt attention and comfort her when she doesn't get her way.

5)  Rob Schneider (or Fergee) from: Judge Dredd

Picture
Judge Dredd is by no means a masterpiece of filmmaking. Some may find it to be a guilty pleasure but no one can be of sound mind and say that it is a good film. So it's quite remarkable that a simple side character manages to be the absolute worst part of it. Fergee has zero bearing on the plot and his attempt at comic relief is about as funny as a kick in the nuts. It actually made me mad when they decided to show us that he was okay at the end of the film. Dammit, movie! Why must you squash what little hope I had left?!

4) Slippy Toad from: The Starfox Games

Picture
Yes, having a mechanic and inventor is an essential part in any game where you fly around in spaceships, but how hard is it to become an even halfway decent pilot? Seriously. He always manages to get cornered by the enemy and needs to be saved time and time again. Then he has to call for help in what has to be the one of the most annoying voices of video game history. Many kids, no matter how gentle or kindhearted, secretly wanted to let Slippy die at enemy hands. This one included.

3) Yorda from: Ico

Picture
Escort missions in video games are not fun. I'd even hazard a guess and say that no gamer in history has come across one and thought “Oh Good! I've been waiting for this!” If you're lucky, the person you're escorting can help you in some way by fighting with you, healing you, or being sensible enough to hide away, but that only happens once in a blue moon. Now imagine your entire game as essentially being one big escort mission. That's Ico. You literally spend the game leading a mute and defenseless woman BY THE HAND across puzzles and obstacles where she lends absolutely no help whatsoever. Yorda may as well be a sack of flour that Ico has to carry around.

2) Jar Jar Binks from: The Star Wars Trilogy

Picture
Do I even have to explain this? You know the drill here. He's annoying, offensive, not funny, loud, obnoxious, and did I mention he's responsible for Emperor Palpatine gaining control of the galaxy? When you're a sidekick and you do the exact opposite of what a sidekick is supposed to do, you're the epitome of useless!

1) Wilson from: Castaway

Picture
He's a ball. A ball with a face. Don't you start telling me that he helped Tom Hanks keep his sanity on that island! No one who argues with a volleyball is sane! Wilson was clearly only a way for the audience to know what Tom Hanks was thinking so we wouldn't have 45 minutes of silence. Plus, he can't even hold on to a raft. Useless.

So that about wraps it up. I can honestly say that Ivan encompasses many of the qualities of the sidekicks I've presented. He's lazy, annoying, always needs help, and offensive to pretty much everyone. Stop by sometime to see for yourself.

Who are some of the worst sidekicks in your opinion? Which characters did I forget? Leave a comment below.

Comments

04/08/2015 2:56pm

Yeah, but I cried when Wilson was swept away, whereas I'd have stood up and cheered if JarJar Binks had been smushed by an Imperial Walker. And cut Flounder some slack; I hear he's been drinking like a fish since he auditioned for the part of Nemo in "Finding Nemo" and turned down.

Phoebe
04/08/2015 8:08pm

I'll be honest, I laughed my butt off when Wilson floated away. I have no soul, apparently.

PimpsDontCry
04/08/2015 4:51pm

Why isn't Jar Jar #1? Or 99% of Shia Lebeouf performance in general. As for Wilson character/object, it served a purpose for the audience and Hanks character to interact and follow along as you noted. It shouldn't even be on this list.

Phoebe
04/08/2015 8:09pm

Jar Jar is ALWAYS #1 on lists like these. Gotta shake things up! Aside from Crystal Skull I can't think of any other movies he's in where he's the sidekick...

08/22/2015 11:19pm

Without the educated people the poverty factor cannot remove from the society because the poverty factor is only can remove with the educated people. Educated people make the society educated and the poverty can remove from the society.

02/24/2016 11:08am

Lolx. It's funny these are some really wired and funny sidekicks of games, cartoons and movies. About Magikarp from Pokemon I just hate it.

03/11/2016 2:07am

There are also some tricks played in movies which may be some time harmful for actors or may become source of popularity for them.

04/30/2016 5:40am

the articles are really thrilling!! especially the one with the snarf, one of my favorite character, some of them can also help me as college essay writer yes the poor little mermaid is the sidekick too. although she deserves the praises

06/05/2016 4:08am

They are pretty funny. Why don't you like them?

06/26/2016 6:14am

If you're seeking to play Heaven Bay without investing in cash and gems then your best solution is by using the free Heaven Bay Free Hack. This Cheats offers you instant free unrestricted cash and gems which you can use to be remembered as a solid player in the overall game. While playing Heaven Bay you will need to remember that is a multiplayer game which explains why you will need to limit the utilization of the Free Hack.

07/06/2016 6:56am

Now i am an expert laptop researchers, so my exercise can play freely within the sport on Android, as a shadow fight 2 hack android result of it will eventually create for you the proper hack loose change generator to obtain! This technique may be applied in Google android, Windows, iOS and laptop computer. The help personnel is ready to answer any factors and deal with bug critiques as swiftly as Shadow Battle 2 Hack has been searched by most popular anti virus packages and examined by particular chosen beta testers. Por favor?? Disfruta utilizando nuestro hack para darkness wrestle 2! Our new posts won't provide you with a download hyperlink, instead they might refocus you to our on the web hack!

07/20/2016 3:34am

It is a web Cheats which requires no software to be installed or downloaded. This helps it be one of the very most reliable Challenge Camp Cheats Hack available online. It really is safe and inhibits your device from infections and Trojans. It generally does not request one to submit your individual information which is excatly why most people prefer this cheat.

That is a multiplayer game and players will notice strange activity on your bank account which will make them article you. While using the Hack all too often will make the overall game too easy to experiment with therefore you shall soon weary. A very important thing to do is to limit you to ultimately using the Cheats only once essential. Once you feel a solid player, utilize it only once you go out of cash or gems, this can help you turn into a pro at Dungeon Hunter 5 so you shall enjoy participating in the overall game.

As you may know its really hard to discover a working method which can generate free resources in pixel gun 3d, But there are some exceptions like our website who provides complete solution for pixel gun 3d. If you do a search query on Yahoo about pixel gun 3d hack, After that you will come across many fake sites who making the effort to cheat people by spreading fake things such as viruses, malwares or spywares in their system or mobile device, We all recommend all users to use only trusted options to get such pixel gun 3d hack and hack like ours, We have recently been giving away premium secrets and Cheats and hacks at our website free of cost. Some other sources will ask you to down load things which contains destructive viruses which can secure your device and ask you certain quantity of money to unlock the devices, We request you all that don't fall into this trap of these fake program's which can ruin your daily life. Easiest way to obtain free pixel gun 3d coins compromise is to use our bodies and get your resources instantly without spending any money.

thanks for sharing this blog is just great

10/14/2016 3:10am

Thanks.

11/10/2016 6:01am

cool blog

Guys i have just got a cute ringtone on my windows 10 phone from this tool , you can also get it now from this easy online tool.

Nowadays, there are few books that serve the function of teaching programming, as well as providing fun, especially for the children. Al's book serves both.

03/14/2017 2:23am

04/05/2017 4:22pm

Great I found your web.. it's a nice place to learn...

04/12/2017 11:57am

People i have just got a lovely ring tone on my ms windows 10 cellphone from this device , you can also get it now from this simple on the internet device.

05/24/2017 10:55am

Many thanks for getting enough time to discuss this, They have been a giant help for us. Thanks a whole lot.

I realize it is only now writing a blog is extremely helpful for me as well as for my work. I would like to say thanks to much to you.

06/20/2017 5:25pm

When I saw this web, it's really different than the other. Great Job!