Yes, I've had a bit of a preoccupation with scary things as of late but can you blame me? Stores are already putting out Halloween decorations and there are trailers for horror films everywhere. Hey, if we're gonna start celebrating Christmas right after Thanksgiving then why not start celebrating Halloween now!
Picture
Muahahahaha!
But seriously, I've gotten into the spirit of the season and lately there hasn't been a better way to bask in the spookiness then by listening to some music fit for the mood. No I'm not talking about One Direction (sorry, it was far too easy), I'm talking about soundtracks. Whereas most normal beings have popular music in their library, mine is filled with soundtracks from all manner of films, video games and television shows. It's not that I think all pop music is bad (though some of it REALLY is), but to me music is supposed to inspire and speak to you in a way that nothing else can. Soundtracks do the trick for me. I know I'm not the only one, everyone within my geek clique owns at the very least several soundtracks, all of which they highly recommend.

Today I'm going to recommend a soundtrack perfect for the Autumn season, one that you'll want to listen to with all the lights on: Silent Hill.
Silent Hill Konami
Or if you're a glutton for punishment, listen to it with headphones on in the dead of night.
Silent Hill is a PlayStation video game that came out in 1999. It was helmed by Konami Entertainment and created by Keiichiro Toyama who is also known for the 'Siren' series. Silent Hill is considered by many to be the father of all current survival horror games as it brought new and creative ideas to the horror genre. Rather than simply throwing monsters and scary locations at the player (though it certainly does that as well), SH gets under the players skin by playing with the psychological aspects of horror. We follow a widowed father named Harry Mason as he traverses the small town, 'Silent Hill', to find his daughter, Cheryl. As he explores the not-so-abandoned town he stumbles into an occult plan to bring about a terrifying deity that my have some connection to Cheryl.

The game masterfully makes the player on edge during each second of gameplay. I won't get too far into why the Silent Hill game or the series in general is so amazing, as I'll probably go over it closer to Halloween, but I will tell you why the soundtrack is a huge part of it's success.
Picture
Front
Picture
Back
A huge component of horror is atmosphere. If you can't convey a sense of dread or unease then it'll be harder to make others feel anything, let alone scared. Akira Yamaoka composes a soundtrack that perfectly conveys what SH is all about. The opening theme sets up the game perfectly, the urgent strumming of the mandolin at the beginning has a haunting, creeping melody to it which goes into a more 'rocky' portion of the song that, while catchy, feels vaguely sorrowful and hopeless. When listening to the soundtrack on it's own you'll discover that most of the songs can't quite be classified as, well, 'songs'.

It is cold, hard ambient music that barely contains a melody. They're constantly riding the line between music and noise. Yamaoka relied heavily on industrial music as the influence for his music. 'Beats' and 'melodies' are made from clanging metal, disembodied growls, crazy rapid drums, static, ghostly cries and even rasping breathing. Imagine running from monsters all while that plays incessantly in your ear. Don't get me started on the theme in the final battle; the high-pitched static feels like it's trying to grind you into submission. I nearly had a real life panic attack when I tried to soldier on and beat the final boss!
Silent Hill Boss
'Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God!' ~Me
However, like the opening theme, there are some normal songs scattered amongst the more terrifying tracks. The song 'Not Tomorrow' is a sad, guitar heavy melody that fits very well with the scene it's paired with. 'Killing Time' sounds like it should be in a grindhouse flick with a freaky as heck guitar. 'She' is a rather emotional ballad that reminds me of a certain famous folk rock song. While I swear that I've heard 'Silent Hill (Otherside)' in an episode of Twin Peaks.

All in all, the SH soundtrack is designed to make you feel distressed and paranoid and it does the job perfectly. I actually wouldn't suggest you listen to the soundtrack by itself too often, as it does it's job too well. You'll start seeing things out of the corner of your eye and swear on your grandmothers grave that someone or something is watching you from out the window. But for ambience at a Halloween party or even a haunted house? Definitely. Still, I encourage you to buy the album if only to appreciate the genius and importance this music had on a genre that's going strong to this day. If only the games they made today had this caliber of music...

Would you agree with my opinions on the game and it's soundtrack? Is there another soundtrack I should talk about? Let me know in the comments below! And please support these amazing artists by BUYING their songs and not downloading!

Comments

12/16/2015 10:16am

I have my old PSP in the garage. Think I'am gonna go for the silent hill game)

02/01/2016 9:24am

Very informative blog post for music and good for reading. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

03/23/2016 5:57pm

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

05/17/2016 12:54am

Silent Hill is wonderful and most interesting for me also. I watch all of its seasons and become addict of it also. The tunes and soundtrack of this amazing show is also top of the world and is famous among youth and youngsters of this modern age. They become addict of it.

05/18/2016 2:16am

Folder of the things of the soft things are veyrimprotant and often increased. It is the impetus for the future and all prospective teems. It is the instinctive and introduced. It is the reformed and changed with the rounded and transformed provisions of the times.

05/21/2016 6:47am

Man, the name of the album is sounding like a horror. Have you seen the movie series with this same name? If yes, then you should be also admiring my opinion. Thanks for sharing this nice music album.

06/19/2016 11:03am

I am addict of watching all the series of Silent Hills. Its animation and graphic effects are just mind blowing and great. I am very happy to grab and download all my shows on it and get it.

06/28/2016 2:58am

Thanks for the great website. I’m very thrilled to demonstrate it to anyone. It makes me so pleased your wide knowing and knowledge have a new route for trying into the entire globe.

07/18/2016 11:35pm

his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.

08/15/2016 10:21pm

Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it.

10/06/2016 11:33am

I have a pack of cash on itunes and I need some cool vids. I truly cherish all the Linkin Park recordings and things like that. You have any proposals?

I have seen this, truly amazing thanks dude!

11/29/2016 11:01am

I put a sport on keep for me at gamestop and they said it was new, but when I got it it was not covered with nasty and it had a tag on it. The tag said new, though. Also, I saw the guy placing the activity within the box. Why was not my activity covered with plastic?

01/05/2017 12:59am

I just wanna say thanks for this nice reading. I got a lot of new ideas from your article.

03/11/2017 9:47pm

This might be the refined method of disagreeing along with historic Close to Eastern, downgrading the normal deification in the divine body.

Here are a few basic ideas to be able to negotiate in order to rest: quit smoking, wean your self from coffee, consume less carbs, as well as discover a spot to physical exercise a half hour daily.

Extending or even working out your penis.

03/13/2017 6:34am

This is utilized to improve sex drive as well as strength, regarding it is stated in order to give on the end user the actual energy as well as power of the horses.

03/13/2017 1:05pm

Tongkat Ali is actually rapidly getting probably the most well-known herbal treatments on the planet.

03/14/2017 10:35am

The truth is that it must be section of the Christian's training course.

03/14/2017 5:43pm

in order to 8 inches for an typical throughout upon hard-on.

04/16/2017 2:43am

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

05/25/2017 2:44am

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.